0333 433 0356
AC1 Electricians

Prices start at £400.00 Plus VAT

Consumer Unit Replacements in the South East

New fuse box or consumer unit supplied and installed by our expert electricians

Consumer unit replacement in the South East

The consumer unit is the most important part of any electrical installation containing very important over-current and protective devices so that in the event of any fault occurring, the power is disconnected from the problem circuit.

With the correct type of unit installed you will have more protection against electrocution and fires in the home and at work.

AC1 have many years experience working in both occupied and unoccupied properties. All work conforms to current BS7671 18th edition regulation standards.

On completion, AC1 will provide a full installation certificate and Part P notification.

Contact us

What Our Customers Are Saying

The service we have received from AC1 has been superb - from the responsive and helpful office staff to the electrician who installed our ev charger.

The electrician was excellent. He removed the old pendant light fittings and put up the new ones. He made sure they were the correct height and was extremely tidy. He was also friendly and completed the work quickly to a high standard.
Chris Augustine

Excellent service. Would use them again.
Michael Riminton

A great team and fantastic overall experience for setting up EV charger. Natalie was impeccably responsive and reliable. Tony came twice, once for the site visit and the other to help us make sure the charger worked as it took a bit of fuss to setup but Tony was thorough throughout and made sure we know what we are getting and is up to a high standard. Jon the electrician did an incredible job running the cable through our staircase, along the skirt line, with a neat looking and perfectly fitted cover, through the front wall and the charger was fitted perfectly beside our front door. Brilliant service and an excellent team. Would undoubtedly recommend.
Kevin Kan

AC1 Electrical was the 3rd company we had tried after we had been let down and taken advantage of for work needed on our Grade 2 listed property. Tony and his team worked with us to ensure that the work was all completed whilst being respectful of the property and the finished result is beyond our expectations. We would not hesitate recommending them to anyone and will be using them again for our next project!

I found AC1 form a web search and they completed EICR and rectification works on my mums empty house prior to sale in a very expedient and professional matter, Natalie was super communicative/efficient to deal with and thier services are set up digitally so very each to utilize. I found them to be good value too. Certainly recommend them to others for work in Central London.
Eamon Sheehan

Used AC1 twice now, one time for an EICR and one time for an extractor fan and adding additional plug socket. Great service received both times from both the office and the electrician, very friendly and professional. They were able to fit in the appointments quickly as well. Highly recommended and will use again for future electrical work. Thanks again.

New Consumer Units in the South East

AC1 have replaced and installed consumer units in the South East for many years. Our electricians are qualified and highly skilled individuals, experienced in handling consumer units and their faults. They can safely install, upgrade or repair a consumer unit in your property, regardless of size.

We are committed to providing our customers in the South East with the best possible service for the best possible prices. Keep costs low and quality high with AC1 Electrical.

Failed an EICR?

Has your property failed an EICR because of the consumer unit? Upgrade your fuse box with AC1 Electrical Services! Your Consumer Unit or Fuse board plays a major role in the prevention of electric shock and fires within an electrical installation.

New RCD to protect you

RCD Stands for residual current device. These are very important devices within your electrical Consumer Unit. They detect the presence of fault current and limit the flow of electricity to 30ma protecting you from potentially fatal electrocution.

MCBs that protect your property

MCBs stand for Miniature Circuit Breaker. These are also a very important device within your Consumer Unit. MCBs stop the overload of current flowing through a circuit, preventing any electrical fires that may occur. They also disconnect when a fault occurs such as a short circuit.

Metallic Consumer unit

It is now a regulation that all Consumer Units installed or replaced must be metal. Before this the majority of Fuse Boards were plastic which is classes as a combustible material. Having a metallic Consumer unit will reduce the risk of an electrical fire within a Consumer Unit if a fault was to occur.

Old Wooden Fuse box

If your property has on old style Consumer unit or Fuse Board that is made of wood then it is highly recommended that you upgrade this to a new style Fuse box. Wood is a highly flammable material making it a lot easier for it to catch fire under fault conditions.

Old Fuse wire

Does your fuse board have the old style fuse wire in it? Fuse wire takes a lot longer to blow than what a new style MCB does to trip. The longer current is allowed to flow when a fault occurs the higher there is a risk of fire. You also have to rewire a fuse when you can simply reset an MCB.

Frequently asked questions about Consumer units

How much does it cost to replace a consumer unit?

Consumer unit replacements start at just over £600 inc. VAT. That's for a 10-way unit. Ask us for a price for smaller consumer unit for a garage or outbuilding. Larger consumer units can be installed - ask us for a fixed price quote for commercial 3-phase consumer units.

Refer to the price list or booking form for current pricing - or just ask us.

Similar questions:

  • new consumer unit cost?
  • consumer unit change cost?
  • consumer unit fitting cost?
  • consumer unit installation cost?
  • how much to change a consumer unit?
  • electric consumer unit replacement cost?

AC1 provide domestic and commercial consumer unit replacement in the South East, and nearby areas.

When do I need to replace my consumer unit?

You should replace your consumer unit if:

  • it has rewire-able type fuses which contain fuse wire
  • it has porcelain type fuse carriers with fuse wire
  • it has been highlighted in an electrical inspection
  • it has no RCD protection
  • is old or outdated - wooden or broken

AC1 provide domestic and commercial consumer unit replacement in the South East, and nearby areas.

Should I get my consumer unit checked?

You should get your consumer unit checked if:

  • you are going to rent your property
  • you are going to purchase a property
  • you are going to purchase property insurance
  • you have not had an electrical inspection carried out by a registered electrician in the last 10 years.

It is the responsibility of any Landlord or Employer to ensure the safe and correct operation of an electrical installation.

How long does it take to replace a consumer unit?

AC1 provide domestic and commercial consumer unit replacement in the South East, and nearby areas.

Are your quotes for consumer unit installation fixed? Nothing more to pay?

You will receive a fixed price quote before any work commences. Nothing more to pay.

During work or testing, we may uncover the need for additional remedial work. If this happens, you will be given a clear quotation for this electrical work - but you will not be obliged to use us further.

AC1 provide domestic and commercial consumer unit replacement in the South East, and nearby areas.

What does replacing a consumer unit involve?

It is standard procedure that as a part of replacing your consumer unit your existing electrical wiring must be fully tested. See EICR reports and certificates for more information on electrical testing and inspections.

Our qualified and competent electricians will carry out a series of tests to ensure that your existing wiring is suitable for a modern '18th edition' consumer unit with incorporated RCD (Residual Current Device) before installing it. Without such testing, there is a possibility that the new consumer unit will pick up any existing underlying wiring faults and continuously trip, leaving you without power.

Usually there are no problems when installing a new consumer unit fuse box (people still call it a fuse box but fuses are no longer used). If there are problems, we will highlight these, allowing you to make appropriate decisions on whether to proceed or not, in rare circumstances the electrical wiring within the existing installation may be so outdated or faulty it will require part or full rewiring.

AC1 provide domestic and commercial consumer unit replacement in the South East, and nearby areas.

Can you replace a consumer unit in an occupied building?

AC1 have many years experience replacing consumer units and distribution boards in occupied and unoccupied properties.

Is your consumer unit installation work guaranteed?

All our work and supplied fixtures and equipment are guaranteed for a minimum of 1 year.

What is an MCB?

MCB stands for ‘miniature circuit breaker ‘, A circuit breaker is an automatically operated electrical switch designed to protect an electrical circuit from damage caused by over-current/overload or short circuit. Its basic function is to interrupt current flow after Protective relays detect faults condition.

AC1 can install or upgrade consumer units with new MCBs.

What is an RCD?

RCD stands for ‘residual current device’ and is designed to prevent you from getting a fatal electric shock if you touch something live, such as a bare wire. It can also provide some protection against electrical fires. RCDs can help protect you from electric shock in potentially dangerous areas like bathrooms and gardens, and there are various types of RCDs that can be used to make sure you are always as safe as possible.

What is RCBOS?

RCBOS stands for Residual Current Circuit Breaker. It combines the functionality of an MCB and an RCD

If your consumer unit uses RCBOS, your circuits are protected individually. This might mean some of your lighting stays on when there's a fault on another circuit. Each circuit is protected individually.

RCBOS consumer units cost a bit more than RCD consumer units, but it can save you from losing all power in your property at the same time.

Which consumer unit should I get?

A RCBOS consumer unit protects each circuit individually. It's better than an RCD consumer unit, but costs more.

A dual RCD consumer unit allows two groups of circuits to be protected separately. If one circuit has a fault, the other circuit might be unaffected. It's cheaper than a RCBOS consumer unit, but still has some separation between circuits.

If you don't have RCBOS, and just have an RCD consumer unit, you still have fault protection but a fault on one circuit will remove power from multiple circuits.

Are you fully insured?

AC1 is fully insured for domestic and commercial electrical work on customer premises.

What is your complaints procedure?

AC1 is trusted to complete electrical repairs and installations to the highest standard. If there is any problem with our services, please contact us in writing. If we are at fault we will rectify the issue immediately.